Sunday, April 1, 2012

A is for...


Click to check out the other bloggers
 

    It has arrived the April 1st. The beginning of the A to Z challenge, also known as April Fool's Day. Hmm, I wonder if that is intentional.

  If you are new to my blog, Welcome. If not, well you know are welcome, just don't expect me to put out the good china. You guys have already seen the everyday stuff with the chipped edge.

   This year I decided to go with a Theme for the challenge. That theme is Texas Wildflowers in honor of spring. So come on along for the ride through Texas as she shows off her colors. And just think you don't have to by gas.

Ladies and Gentlemen (and all the rest of you too) let's get this show on the road.

   We start the month with... "Arrowwood Viburnum" Viburnum dentatum also known as "Southern Arrowwood". This shrub grown in the sandy soils of east Texas. The Native Americans would use the straight branches to make their arrows, thus the name. This plant blooms from April through July.


Viburnum dentatum
Picture from University of Texas Plant Resource Center


11 comments:

Denise Covey said...

PJ, what a great theme. I'll be so looking forward to your Texas wildflowers. We have heaps of wildflowers in Australia in Spring, but I'd have to buy a book to know what they're called.

Great to see the A-Z show on the road. I've commented on the early 4 I have showing on my blogfeed. I'm posting in about 2 hours.

Denise

Rosalind Adam said...

Lovely idea. We have vebernum in the UK but they look different to that. Looking forward to the rest of your Texas flowers.
I’m doing the A to Z Challenge too at A to Z of Nostalgia

Laura Eno said...

Great theme! I really don't know the names of flowers so I'm going to learn a lot from you this month.

Jemi Fraser said...

So pretty! :)

baygirl32 said...

Very pretty theme!

happy A to Z
baygirl32.blogspot.com

Theres just life said...

Hi Denise, I am glad to see you are in this year as well. I just checked out your post. Great theme.
Rosalind, I know bloggers are from all over the globe, so I decided to share a little bit of Texas this year. I am glad you like it.
Laura, I have and continue to learn so much from you, so I am glad I can return the favor.
Jemi, Welcome I am glad you like it.
Babygirl, Welcome, I'm glad you like my theme. There are over 120 different wildflowers in Texas. I can't post them all, but I'm trying to give everyone a small taste.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll need you to tell me what they are because I have no idea!

Ella said...

Beautiful! Nice to meet you~
I'm an A-Z gal, too

Theres just life said...

Alex, We will both learn together.
Ella, Welcome. I'm glad you like it.

Stacy S. Jensen said...

I look forward to this. It seemed our only flowers in the area around Del Rio were the nice blooms on the cactus. They were lovely.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Wow, there are that many types of wildflowers in Texas? Cool theme. Unfortunately, I will not be as well versed on your theme as I think you are on mine. Pretty plant, and interesting about the arrows!

Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z